Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Subliminal Messaging in Children's Cartoons

After learning about children's media in this class, I remembered hearing rumors back when I was in high school that there was dirty images in Disney movies. I did some research and I did find a couple of drawings in some of these cartoons, such as "The Little Mermaid," that did look like a certain male body part. Coincidence, maybe? Recently, I did research on subliminal messaging in children's cartoons and I found the video above. While I do think it is wrong to have these sexual messages in shows directed towards kids, I don't believe the meanings of these messages are meant for the kids, but rather the parents that are stuck watching these cartoons with their kids. When I was younger, I would have never picked up on all of the sexual innuendos that were used on cartoons. Parents on the other hand, would. The point of these messages is not to sexualize children early, but rather to entertain the parents that have to sit through a thirty minute television show about a sponge that lives under the sea. I believe that the writers of these messages are just simply trying to give the parents watching these cartoons a good, harmless laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment